At the moment I am based at the market which is due to close for renovation (possibly at end of February). Frankly I would rather have a separate art and craft shop / center. I am trying to summarise what that place preferably be like (or not like).
1. Nothing pretentious, snobby or overpriced. It’s fine to have some very expensive items but there should be plenty of affordable stuff. Many art and craft places scare off non-arty and not rich people.
2. Not a cold and empty art gallery, rather a place that looks like a home of somebody who enjoys collecting handmade / one of the kind / weird and wonderful, enjoys living with eclectic mixture of things.
3. It would be beneficial to have a widest possible range of arts, crafts, vintage, upcycled and antique products for home and fashion. It should give feeling of entering a cave full of treasures. When people spend long time browsing they are more likely to buy at least something.
4. Space for workshops, demonstrations and meetings.
5. Some space for themed exhibitions.
6. A nice cafe would attract customers.
7. Artists and makers working in real time within some studio space – again, this would interest people.
8. An outdoor / garden area for displaying outdoor works.
9. Art and craft supplies. People coming for this sort of things would be interested in attending workshops.
It is a very far fetched dream, i know. But I can’t stop dreaming it…
This is a Pinterest board for the dream: